As winter approaches, an increase in house fires follows. There are many potential fire hazards in a home. Some are more common than others, but we should remain attentive to all. We will share five fire hazards to look out for in your home this winter.
One of the most common causes of house fires is space heaters. These devices are often left on for long periods and can overheat, catch fire, and start a blaze. Unplug space heaters when you leave the room or your house. Placement is essential as well. Do not place space heaters against flammable objects, including walls, furniture, and house plants. Heaters should always be plugged into a direct outlet because the current can overload outlet strips, leading to blown fuses and potential fire. Stay warm while remaining safe this winter.
Candles are another common cause of house fires. Setting the season’s mood is important, but keeping your home safe is even more critical. Always blow out candles before leaving the room, home, or before falling asleep. Be especially careful with candles during a power outage. If you must use candles, be sure to keep them away from any flammable objects. Unextinguished candles can create sparks, which could lead to dangerous fires.
The kitchen is one of the most common places for house fires. When cooking, stay in the kitchen and never leave food unattended on the stovetop. If you must leave the room, turn off the stove. Be extra cautious when cooking with oil because it can easily catch fire. Once you finish using the oven, do not leave the door open. If your gas pipe is leaking, this can cause gas to fill the air and potentially catch on fire if exposed to heat. Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen at all times in case of an emergency.
Electrical Outlets and Appliances
Another common cause of house fires is electrical outlets and appliances. Be sure to check your electrical cords and outlets for any signs of damage. If they are damaged, do not use them until they are repaired by a professional. Do not overload outlets with multiple plugs and never run cords under rugs or furniture. Lastly, be sure to unplug appliances when they are not in use.
Lint Buildup in Dryers
One final common cause of house fires is lint buildup in dryers. Lint is flammable and can easily catch fire if it builds up in the dryer vent. To prevent this, clean out the lint trap after every load of laundry. In addition, have your dryer vent professionally cleaned once a year to remove any hidden lint buildup.
By following these tips, you can help prevent house fires. Be sure to share this blog post with your friends and family so they can be aware of these dangers! If you have any further questions or needs, Scapers is here to help.